Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises and the Pale Knight too...

The family is out of town this weekend so I decided I would brew tonight after work. I decided to do one mash and split the runnings out into two worts. The first wort would be an IPA and then second wort would be a black ipa. I drained the mash into the boil kettle and took a hydrometer reading to confirm I met my numbers - I did. I then washed the mash tun and stirred the boil kettle volume to make sure the wort was uniform. I then drained half the boil kettle to the mash kettle and started the first boil in the first kettle. I then steeped the dark grains in the second kettle until the first kettle came up to boil. I then started the heat on the second kettle. This gave me about 20 minutes between each kettle to get the first batch chilled. I used my counterflow chiller for each batch and capped the output between batches.
Each batch went fine and made to the fermenter with no issues. I took a hydrometer reading for each batch and the ipa came in a little low. I must have not mixed the mash runnings enough to get the same original gravity.

I used all late hops (hop bursting) for this brew day.

I used first runnings only for this brew day.

I'm also finishing up writing up my fermenter experiment - stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment