Thursday, March 13, 2014

Brewery update 03/12/2014

Added an option for the boil kettle. I had a false bottom fabricated and then altered it to fit my custom kettle. This will allow brewing with leaf hops without using mesh bags. It also allows me to use a immersion wort chiller in the kettle without having it lean it on the heating element.

The false bottom is perforated stainless steel not the Blichmann slotted false bottom. I used a grinder disk and flap wheel to get the bottom to fit the kettle and then used a step bit to make two holes for legs. The bottom rests on the kettle pickup tool nut, and then I built two stainless steel legs out of 3/8" threaded rod and four nuts.

I'll have to test out how it affects hop extraction, whirlpooling, and the overall brew day.



No comments:

Post a Comment