Monday, March 23, 2015

Over the Wall (Berliner Weisse) and Don't Get Grahammed (English Brown Ale) 3/21/15

Double batch brew day. The next 5 or 6 beers are to be served at Shannon's graduation party June 13.
A couple problems on brew day (mill, mash tun temperature probe):
1. The Northern Brewer mill that I bought to replace the barley crusher is not very good. I had to keep playing with the gap to get it crush. That will be going up on eBay. I'm going to purchase a Monster Mill and hopefully that will resolve my ongoing mill issues.
2. The temperature probe on my mash tun has been finicky. It was giving all kinds of strange readings on brew day the last few brew days. I ordered a new probe and sent the other back for repair. I should have a spare anyway.
Here are the beers brewed:

Berliner weisse:
Berliner weisse was 50%pils, 40% wheat, 10% flaked barley.
Mash hop - 15 minute boil
Split fermentation
4 day .75L starter of Omega Labs Lactobacillus blend for 72 hours at 67F
4 day .75L starter of White Labs Lactobacillus Brevis for 72 hours at 67F
Then split 1L starter of Wyeast German Ale into each.
4% ABV

English Brown Ale:
83% Maris Otter/Golden Promise
4% special roast
4% victory
4% c60
5% pale chocolate
EKG 25 IBU - First wort, then 14 grams at 20 min.
Split fermentation wlp013, wlp037
4.5% ABV


Next up: Kolsch


No comments:

Post a Comment