Monday, March 9, 2015

Little Joe 2/28/15

The never ending winter and I haven't brewed in a long time.
I decided this morning with the temperature forecasted to break 32 degree/0 Celsius I was going to brew. So I came up with a 5% Pale Ale recipe targeting 30 ibus. All late hops (hop bursting) using Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe and good fresh WLP001 in a 1.5L starter.


I brew in the garage with the electric brewery so weather isn't a problem but I still need water.
Water source was frozen, so I had to come up with an alternate water source to run through the carbon filter. The temperature dropped to 20 degrees before brew day was finished.
I used the hop back and the counter flow chiller. Chilled the wort to 68 no problem.
I still like the immersion chiller the best but with the water so cold and the chance to use the hop back I used the counterflow. I'll have to rig both counterflow and plate chiller up at the same time and see if I can drop the temperature fast as I want.
I'm going to make another batch of this beer using the immersion chiller and see I can taste the difference.

Check the wort today on 3/9/15 and I'm at 1.014. So maybe a few more points to drop in gravity then I'll keg it up for St. Joseph's Feast Day on 3/19.

 My patron saint don't you know. 

What else would a little Paddy like to drink other than a low abv American Pale Ale!



No comments:

Post a Comment