Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Summer Session - Kolsch 04/18/15

Brewed a Kolsch today. I actually made a double batch and split the fermentation between WLP003, WLP029, Wyeast 2565. I have heard that 2565 is sometimes preferred over WLP029 so I wanted to check that out and wlp003 is a platinum White labs Kolsch strain that I happened to pick up.

I had some mill issues again and I've decided to replace my mill with a different brand.
I ordered a Monster Mill at the end of this brewday. I was tired of fighting with the other mill.

Had to double grind the grain because the mill was not crushing the kernels. I ended up overshooting my conversion efficiency and will add boiled water back to cut the alcohol level back down to a more session beer. This is beer three for Shannon's graduation party, three more to go.

I used Kolsch malt, it's a little like a vienna but not as sweet.
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops.

2 comments:

  1. any thoughts on these three yeast? i am looking at using 003 now that it's available again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeast FG Comments

    wyeast 2565 1.014 Cloudy like a clean wheat beer. Took a few more weeks to clear. Rated 1b

    wlp029 1.015 clear - kolsch taste. Rated 1a

    wlp003 1.015 a little cloudy little sulphur. Rated 2

    wlp029 and yeast 2565 were very similar and wlp003 was a little different.

    ReplyDelete