Wednesday, April 11, 2012

No "bittering hops" Citra Pale Ale

I just tapped my Citra Pale Ale. This is the first time using Citra hops as well as using a technique where no bittering hops and all hops are added at flameout. The wort is then whirlpooled for 20-60 minutes.
I used 56 grams at 0 minutes and then a whirlpool for 30 minutes. After the wort had completed fermenting it was dry hopped for 7 days on 28 grams of Citra.
Impressions -
No DMS - the extended whirlpool did not produce any DMS precursors.
The Citra hop has  similiar characteristics to Summit (high myrcene level issues- citrus, onion). I must be sensitive to these characteristics as I picked them up inititally, but as the beer conditioned they faded.
Beer had enough bitterness to carry the malt, but was not bitter and was very smooth - I like the 0 minute technique.
I would use Citra again but would blend with another hop - maybe something piney to go with this hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment